If you click "Battle" before placing any of your characters onto the grid, the battle starts, but nothing happens, so the game softlocks.
Build A Better Buddy
Build A Better Buddy is a cute auto-battler with the goal of Building A Better Buddy.
Right now its more like Buy A Better Buddy because Buddies are immutable. Jammers gonna jam.
- Buy Buddies using money
- Reorder Buddies by clicking and dragging
- Trash Buddies by clicking and dragging them onto the trash can
- Enemies get harder each round
- You have a slight advantage over your enemies: your buddies are generated with a slightly higher "value" . You might say you have an ... Unfair Advantage. You know ... the theme of the jam!
- Winning awards 5 coins, ties award 3 coins, and losing awards 2 coins.
Things I would have done if I had more time:
- Add Buddy abilities to make the game actually fun to play
- Actually "build buddies": merge buddies together and add items to them
- Add "asynchronous" networking so players can face off against other "real" teams.
- Add a "revive a dead buddy" feature that lets you bring in a "real player's" dead Buddy. This would create an interesting "power creep" dynamic where Buddies get revived over-and-over and get increasing stronger (this was the motivating idea for the Unfair Advantage theme).
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
The game runs smoothly and works like a charm! You've got a cute art style and the tried-and-true fun gameplay of auto-battlers. I also appreciate you having the browser option.
- Power creep starts happening a bit too quickly
- Some sound effects/music could really enhance the game
- Obvious point--you essentially have infinite money since everything's so cheap